by Nam Ngo Thanh
Expert Educator Columnist, Vietnam
School: Vietnam Australia International School
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Can Tho City, Vietnam
Type of School: Private
Levels of Schooling: Kindergarten – High School
Number of Students: 4500
Number of Teachers: 600
Number of Classrooms: 225
Slogan: Be The Best You Can Be
MIE Experts: Nam Ngo Thanh – Expert Educator 2014
Established in 2004 and licensed by the Vietnamese Government, Vietnam Australia International School (VAS) is a private school group within the national education system offering a K–12 education programme. At present, VAS is offering educational services to some 4,500 students from K through 12 at 6 campuses in Ho Chi Minh City and 1 campus in Can Tho City.
In the 2013-2014 school year, VAS officially implemented the Cambridge International Programme in parallel with the National Programme. With some 400 teachers teaching the National Programme by the Ministry of Education and Training of Vietnam and some 200 teachers trained and certified to teach the Cambridge International Programme, the school offers 3 choices for students from grade 9 comprising of attending either the international programme to prepare for the International Cambridge A Level, or the bilingual programme to get the baccalaureate diploma by the Ministry of Education and Training and IGCSE certficate (secondary school graduation certificate) and English certificates, or the bilingual integration programme to get the baccalaureate diploma by the Ministry of Education and Training and English certificates. With any choice, the students are also fully equipped with knowledge, skills and confidence to get ready for higher learning.
Vision and Mission:
To be a growing school group of excellence, preparing students to be successful in life and higher education, whilst preserving Vietnamese values through a combination of National and International education programs.
VAS will transparently set out it’s core values and empower all it’s stakeholders to fully apply themselves to achieve the highest standard in each of these values in a culture of continuous improvement.
VAS will deliver a harmonious combination of national and international education programs with high level of English and Vietnamese language proficiency.
VAS will create a community of national and international managers, teachers and staff who passionately and efficiently deliver VAS’s education programs.
VAS will excel in communicating and engaging with parents to create a partnership where parents support teachers and staff to ensure that their children achieve their full potential.
VAS will provide it’s education programs to a growing number of students and in a growing number of locations in a sustainable and responsible manner.
Key Attributes for VAS Students
Excellence Students demonstrate problem solving skills, and set and achieve high standards in everything they pursue or do.
Confidence Students are comfortable taking risks, confident in their abilities, and powerful expressing themselves in Vietnamese and English.
Intergrity Students are honest, responsible, conscientious, and honor their words.
Respect Students recognize and acknowledge other people in their community, and are tolerant and accepting of others as they are and as they aren’t.
Passion Students are passionate about life-long learning, intellectual curiosity and achieving success in their studies and in life.
Teamwork Students work effectively and collaboratively, inspire and care for others, whilst showing leadership and team member qualities.
National Pride Students are knowledgeable and proud of their Vietnamese linguistic and cultural heritage such as family values, sense for community, and traditional Vietnamese hospitality, whilst being confident global citizens.
Training Philosophy & Approaches
Vietnam Australia International School believes that when taking part in knowledge acquisition and personality developing activities, all students can bring out their best.
- Effective education is a product of close cooperation between school, family and society. Effective learning involves a sense of responsibility and respect for individuals’ opinions and diversity, and cooperation among students themselves and between them and their teachers.
- In order to develop fully, students need to have practical experiences to raise awareness and improve problem-solving skills through life skills to form a background for their lifelong pursuit of knowledge.
- Each teacher is a designer, counselor, supporter and provider of learning experiences that help students put their creativity and critical thinking to use, in order to make well-informed decisions with a positive attitude and a sense of responsibility. Teachers must exhibit academic and research excellence, and exemplary etiquette, both in and outside of school.
The Vietnam Australia International School has been authorized by international examinations boards to deliver international exams on site. This enables our students to obtain international qualifications without going through intermediary organizations. In particular:
- VAS is recognized as a Cambridge School by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE). CIE is a leading organization that provides a variety of education programs and qualifications for international students from 5 to 19 years old. Studentssit for Cambridge Checkpoints, IGCSE, and A Level within the formal curriculum of the school.
- ICDL Test Delivery Center, authorized by ICDL International. Students can also achieve international ICT certificates, namely ICDL Starter and Full License, as part of the school’s curriculum.
- IELTS Test Delivery Center, approved by the British Council, IDP Education and Cambridge University, the center is based at the school. This allows students to take IELTS General Training and Academic IELTS within their mainstream school programs.
Nam Ngo Thanh (@mrnamvas) Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Hello everyone. I am Ngo Thanh Nam. I’m now grade 5 teacher at Vietnam Australia International school at Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam. I participated in Teacher with creativity contest in Vietnam and luckily achieved the first prize. After the event, I am known more with the job of technology-applied teaching and I’m greatly interested in those wonderful things. I love teaching that has the interaction between teacher and students, all of which generates more interest and inspiration for my job. Besides, I’m also the educational specialist this year. It’s spectacular to work and learn from other specialists. My sincere thanks to Microsoft.