By Ernani S. Fernandez
Expert Educator Columnist, Philippines
The Department of Education (DepEd) Division of Leyte through the Schools Division Superintendent, Dr. Ronelo Al K. Firmo and the Division ICT Coordinator Mr. Ismael T. Posion spearheaded the ICT training to teachers in relation to the Kto12 Curriculum and the 21st century education last November 2014.
This training was also part of the commitment of Mr. Ernani S. Fernandez to the Microsoft Innovative Expert Educator Program, to train teachers on the use of technology in education and let the students acquire the 21st century skills.
DepEd Computerization Program (DCP) is the program of the Department of Education that aims to provide public schools with appropriate technologies that would enhance the teaching-learning process and meet the challenges of the 21st century. This program shall respond to the computer backlog of public schools by providing them hardware and software, and training on simple trouble shooting (DO No. 78, s. 2010).
The objectives of the DepEd Computerization Program as follows:
- Provide computer laboratory packages to secondary schools;
- Provide e-classroom to elementary schools;
- Provide laptop units to mobile teachers;
- Integrate ICT in the school system;
- Raise the ICT literacy of learners, pupils, students, teachers and school heads; and
- Reduce the computer backlog in public school
All ICT Coordinators coming from the DCP recipient schools attended the training. Four batches of training were done consisting of 40 ICT teachers for each batch. And the ICT Coordinators need to conduct an echo-training in their respective district and/or school as the implementation of the program.
Meet the Trainers:
(From L-R: Dulce Amor R. Cañon, Marvinson L. Sy, Rodolfo M. Talua, Ernani S. Fernandez, Jenibeth R. Fernandez & Jonas M. Cabusbusan)
The trainers were trained as Global Filipino Teachers of Globe Bridging Communities with their Global Filipino Teachers Program and Doctoral students of Leyte Normal University. Currently, Dulce Amor R. Cañon is a Teacher III at Tunga Central School and the ICT Coordinator in Tunga District; Marvinson L. Sy is also a Teacher III in Mayorga Central School who won in the Regional ICT Video Competition in Region VIII; Dr. Rodolfo M. Talua is the Teacher In-Charge in one of the schools in Calubian District; Ernani S. Fernandez is a Microsoft Innovative Expert Educator who won in Barcelona, Spain during the 2014 Microsoft in Education Global Forum, a Teacher III and ICT Coordinator at Palo National High School; Jenibeth R. Fernandez, a Grade 1 Teacher at Palo I Central School and one of the Microsoft Innovative Expert Educator for 2015 for her “ICT Makes Fun in Grade 1” learning activity and Jonas M. Cabusbusan a Teacher III of Tanauan School of Craftsmanship and Home Industries and also one of the Microsoft Innovative Expert Educator for 2015.
What are the output of the teachers during the training?
During the training, the participants were required to work on the following:
- Register in the LRMDS Portal of the Department of Education to access several instructional materials which can be downloaded and use in teaching. (http://lrmds.deped.gov.ph/)
- Register in the Microsoft Educators Network (http://www.pil-network.com) and have a full access of the benefits offered by Microsoft, from ICT tools up to professional development of teachers.
- Digital Quiz using PowerPoint with 10 slides and 5 questions
- 5 Digital Flash Cards using PowerPoint
- 1 AutoCollage documentation of the training
- 1 Fotostory documentation of the training
- 1 Puzzle using PuzzleMaker.com of the subject taught
- 1 downloaded video from YouTube
- 1 Video documentation of the training using MovieMaker
- Group Learning Activity “Learn-a-Thon”
- 1 Page Newsletter using Publisher
- 1 Certificate using Publisher
- 1 Invitation Program using Publisher
- 1 Gradesheet using MS Excel
- Final Presentation of the Group Learning Activity
- Daily Blogging as self-reflection
ICT Teachers on the Go!
These pictures were taken during the 4 batches of training.
Dr. Rodolfo Talua orienting the teachers about the status of DCP in the Division of Leyte
and ICT in Education
Jenibeth R. Fernandez presented her learning activity “ICT Makes Fun in Grade 1”
as a sample of the 21st Century Learning Design
One of the participants during the first batch changed the wallpaper
with her autocollage output using Microsoft AutoCollage
With Mr. Ismael T. Posion, the Division of Leyte ICT Coordinator
Ernani S. Fernandez while discussing the 21st century learning design
Jonas M. Cabusbusan while presenting his learning activity “PinMe Crafts!”
Dulce Amor R. Cañon while discussing the proper use of PowerPoint for slide presentation
Marvinson L. Sy during his Digital Quiz discussion
The participants while busy working with their outputs.
Jonas M. Cabusbusan assisting the participants
Some of the Outputs submitted
(Click the link! Or join the Innovative Classroom Tutors group of the Division of Leyte)
Learning Activity Output of Kananga, Alfredo Parilla, San Agustin & Mahaplag NHS
The Training Matrix